I put stuff here that I prepare related to dog behavior & training. I emphasize the scientific approach because that is how I was trained.
A copy of my vita is available as is a brief biography of my relevant experience working with dogs.
- Learning What Predicts What: Pavlov and Dog Training (2019)
- Talks about Classical Conditioning and its relevance to training.
- Purely Positive, Force Free, and Science (2019)
- A discussion of approaches to training.
- Some materials for a 7 week Beginning Obedience Class (2019)
- The class is typically taken by dogs 6 months to a few years of age. The materials are meant as a general guide. I don't actually teach class the class this rigidly. Rather I cater the class to the particular group and with the aid of an assistant, give a lot of individual, one-on-one guidance. Classes like this are highly recommended because they provide a structured environment with the perfect kinds of distractions to train your dog.
Goals, Basic Training Concepts (from below)
HW1, HW2, HW3, HW4, HW5, HW6, HW7
- Teaching Without Conflict: Possession Games with Ivan Balabonov (2015)
- Review of a video.
- Basic Dog Training Concepts (2014)
- Describes 6 concepts that I find useful in training my own dogs as well as helping other people train theirs.
- The Training Log (2014)
- A record keeping tool to help with training.
- Operant Conditioning Paradigms (2014)
- Describes the 8 specific paradigms of operant conditioning for folks that train dogs.
- Obedience Without Conflict: Clear Communication with Ivan Balabonov (2003)
- A review of a video.
- Review of Dogtra Ecollar Pager Feature (2003)
- Review of the use of a tone/vibration cue on an electronic collar.
- Schutzhund Summary: Detailed Requirements & Point Values (2001)
- Summary of exercise values in schutzhund/IPO competitions.
- A (Schutzhund) Dumbbell Tree (1999)
- Describes a metal device to hold the dumbbells to be retreived.
- Tie-Down Apparatus for Teaching the Scent Discrimination (1999)
- Describes an apparatus to use as an aid in teaching the scent descrimination exerize of the AKC Utility Dog competition.
- Science & Dog Training (Malinois Handler, 1998)
- Briefly outlines the relevance of science to an understanding of dog training and behavior.
- Canine Vision (1998)
- A summary of how dogs see in comparison to humans.
- Dog Training Commands in Several Languages (1996-2019)
- List 1 has German, French, Czech, & Dutch (with audio files for all).
List 2 has Hungarian, Polish, Hebrew, Finnish, Spanish, & Turkish (no audio).
- Confusing Consequences: A Brief Introduction to Operant Conditioning (1996)
- Talks about the four possible consequences of behavior (+R, +P, -R, & - P) according to operant conditioning.
- Punishment: Problems & Principles for Effective Use (1996)
- A brief summary.
- AKC Pattern Diagrams & Commands for Obedience Competitions:
- Novice, Open, & Utility (1996)