Major updates currently occur about twice per year and involve checking all of the links at the entire site, fixing broken ones (when possible), deleting dead ones, and adding new ones. Usually some full text articles are added and some reorganization of the material at the site occurs.
Minor updates to individual pages may occur more regularly, but typically just involve fixing a broken link or adding a new link.
A history of what occurred during most of the major upgrades follows. Note that this list not comprehensive, rather, it is meant to give past visitors an idea of the changes that occur during updates.
- Sorry I have been so slow with this update, but it was an especially busy year. My dog Schatze obtained her Sch I and II this past fall and I lost Lobo to old age the day after xmas.
- Pages have had new links added, broken links fixed, and dead links removed.
- Most sections of the site are now alphabetized by author (or in a few cases, by article title).
- Added the following articles:
- A number of changes were made to the Main (Contents) Page to make it more concise and yet give a more detailed presentation of the contents of the site. Some of the info that was on this page was moved to the Welcome Page which also received a work over.
- Finnish language commands were added to the Common Commands in Several Languages Page. With nine languages listed, the page became too large and was split into three: a main page with relevant links and two pages of command listings. The reduction in size of the listings should make printing easier.
- A new search facility was implemented by the university. While it doesn't provide as much detail as the old search facility, it is easier to use.
- A Donation Information Page was added with information about how to make a tax deductible donation to the site.
- The Miscellaneous Info Page was reorganized and had some less relevant sections removed.
- A number of training related email lists were added to the Email List, Etc. Page.
- On the General Topics Page, the Biologically Related topic was further subdivided.
- The General Training Issues Page was reorganized. The section on Play was moved to the Specific Training Topics Page. The section on Testing & Selection was moved to this page (and removed from the Puppy Page where most folks had a hard time finding it). Finally, the page now also includes sections on Responsible Dog Ownership, Choosing a Trainer/School, and Breed Specific Info.
- Lots of additions were added to the Action Photos Page and the main sections of the page were further subdivided.
- Added Nail Trimming to the (potential) problems section.
- The Site Index Page had brief descriptions of each page added.
- Twelve new locally housed articles were added, including five from J. Distano, two from S. C. Rafe, and one each from D. Krsnich, G. J. Salpietro, L. Remick, and the Albany Gazette.
- There are currently almost 2500 links to external pages. In addition, there are 60 full-text articles housed locally.
- This update was never formally announced, since I never found the time for the finishing touches (e.g. proofreading, etc).
- The site received a minor facelift. Some highlights of this facelift include:
- Additional cross links were added to facilitate navigation within the site.
- The Misc. Info & Resources Page was reorganized.
- The Obedience Page was reorganized. Two new sections were added: Learning Theory & Electronic Collars.
- A new section was added to the Protection Page, entitled Breed Info.
- On the Other Dog Work Page, the Herding section was split into Herding & Livestock Guardian Dogs.
- On the Library Page dealing with (Potential) Behavior Problems, the section on Dominance/Aggression was split into Dominance/Leadership & Aggression.
- The Common Commands in Several Languages Page had the sound files for Czech added. Country flags were also added. In addition, links to other pages with language info were added.
- A URL Submission Form was added to make it easier for folks to submit pointers for inclusion at the site.
- A new page was added to the Library that lists the Locally Available Full Text Articles.
- Twenty new locally housed articles were added in this update.
- There are currently over 1900 links to external pages. In addition, there are 40 full-text articles housed locally.
- The Library had a number of revisions. Since "The Stacks" were getting much to large, the page was converted to several. Puppy Housetraining & Puppy Chewing & Biting was added to the new Puppy Page. A section called Coprophagia (stool eating) was added to the new (Potential) Problems Page.
- Other organizational changes include:
- The Still Other Work Section of the of the Other Dog "Work" Page was replaced by 3 subsections: Lure Coursing & Racing,
Hiking, Running, Backpacking, Etc., & Carting & Weight Pulling.
- More cross referencing was added. That is, the section/page of the site now tells the reader what other sections/pages they may be interested in to a greater extent than they had previously.
- Multimedia was added to the Commands in Several Languages Page. Currently there are digital sound files for 4 of the 8 languages available.
- Icon text labels (which can appear when the cursor is placed over an icon in popular version 4 browsers) where revamped to be more informative.
- The Main and Welcome Pages had some minor textual revisions for clarity.
- Eight full text articles were added.
- There are currently over 1600 links to external web pages and about 20 full-text articles housed locally.
- There are currently almost 1400 links to external web pages at this site. Well over half of these are full-text articles about dog training and/or behavior.
- On the present page, a description of the type and frequency of updates that occur to the site was clarified.
- The Main & Welcome Pages received some minor modifications (increasing accuracy & brevity).
- The Common Commands in Foreign Languages Page received a major work over. Numerous errors were fixed, missing info was added, & sound files for English commands were also added.
- An Awards/Honorable Mentions/Reviews Page was added.
- Two full text articles were added.
- Since the amount of material at the site keeps increasing, the interface was further refined to make navigation easier. Thus, the Main Page (which serves as a table of contents) had some details added and was made more compact. In addition, the Library Page (which serves as a more detailed outline of the contents of the site) had a lot of details added and was given a formal numbered outline. Some minor reorganization occurred here as well. Lastly, a Site Index was added which lists each page at the site. Furthermore, an icon was added to the button bar to facilitate access to this index.
- Additional categories were added to the section on Behavioral Problems.
- Sections on Books, Videos, & Magazines & Equipment Providers were moved to a separate page.
- The E-mail Lists, etc. Page was reorganized & enhanced.
- Two full text articles were added to the site.
- This Revision History Page was added, as well as a Welcome Page.
- The Search Engine was moved off of the main page to it's own page and instructions on it's use were provided.
- The Search & Rescue Section of the Nose Knows Page was renamed to just Searching to reflect the inclusion of police type searches.
- A section on legal issues was added to the Miscellaneous Info Page.
- The E-mail List Info Page was renamed to E-mail Lists, Etc. because of the inclusion of info about chat rooms & BBS's. In addition, several new e-mail lists were added.
- Extensive remodeling occurred in the Library. The table of contents are now much more detailed and comprehensive. Furthermore, it was getting large and so was divided into several pages. Lastly, a new section was added called Scientific Info which contains info which does not directly address dog training but is relevant to it.
- The interface was further refined.
4/96 - Dr. P's Dog Training was first posted.
- Upgrades occurred often at this time.
- The site arose from bookmarks collected while web surfing (hence the name "Dr. P's") .
Copyright © 1996 - 2001. Comments? Contact Dr. P.