- Discuss the ideas in the opening monologue Manfred makes (e.g., consider the idea of knowledge). What does Manfred want from the spirits?.
- Why does Manfred desire forgetfulness and self-oblivion (lines 136-191)? (See question for Act II.i)
- Analyze lines 1-56. What is Manfred contemplating? What does the Chamois hunter do?
- What is it that Manfred has done to cause his inner torment (lines 21-30)? See the introductions.
- What happens between Manfred and the witch? Look at lines 150-159. What does Manfred refuse to do? Why? How is Manfred like Prometheus?
1. Review scene four--Hall of
Arimanes. Consider Manfred's interaction with the spirits and
- Discuss the dialogue between Manfred and the Abbot. How does the Abbot try to help Manfred? What is Manfred's response? Focus on lines 26- 171.
- Discuss the last scene of the drama. Focus on the opening monologue (lines 1-44) as well as on lines 123-151.
Finally, how is Manfred an example of the Byronic hero? See the introductions.