Finding and Caring for the muse -
copyright Leslie Owen Wilson 1998
Learning is finding out you already know.
Doing is demonstrating that you know it.
Teaching is reminding others that they know it just as well as you.
You are all learners, doers, teachers. You teach best what you most need to learn.
Richard Back, Illusions
This portion of the creativity strand of web pages is dedicated to the discovery, care and nurturing of the creative spirit or creative muse. Like others before me, the things that I find about creativity are:
- 1. It is essential for a balanced, full life.
- 2. It is enjoyable, exhilarating, and fun.
- 3. It needs to be honored and nurtured on a regular basis.
- 4. Without constant vigilance, it can be easily ignored, impaired or impeded.
The following pages were developed from presentations I have done on maintaining creativity. I hope they are helpful -- Enjoy!
Definitions:Dictionaries define the word muse in different ways - either as a verb, a noun, or as a proper noun.
- Verb - to muse; to ponder; to think deeply and at great length; to meditate.
- A proper noun - In Greek mythology any one of the nine goddesses who were the daughters of Zeus and Mnemosyne -- Calliope, Clio, Euterpe, Melpomene, Terpsichore, Erato, Polyhymnia, Urania, and Thalia. They were each given providence over various aspects of the arts and sciences and thought to favor and inspire selected humans.
- A noun - The spirit or power that is thought to inspire or watch over poets, musicians, artists, or scientists; the source of one's genius or inspiration.
1. The author of this series of pages is not a medical doctor!
2. The ideas and methods contained herein are simply a collection of techniques that appeal to or have worked for one single individual. These techniques are from a wide variety of sources. Some of the ideas presented are from techniques that have been practiced for hundreds, or even thousands of years.
3. The techniques presented are not intended to be substituted for personal explorations, nor should they deter viewers from seeking qualified medical help or supervision. Before you begin any changes in diet or physical exercise it may be a good idea to check with your physician.
4. The author disclaims any liability in the use of her collection of ideas.
5. If you become dizzy during the deep breathing exercises -- stop immediately, sit, or lie down with your feet elevated and resume normal breathing patterns.
"Niente Senza Gioia" (nothing without joy)
est.1997, updated 2005